Monday, July 12, 2010

An apple a day.

We've all heard the phrase 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' but new research shows that if apples are eaten regularly throughout pregnancy they can also keep asthma at bay for the unborn child.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I ate an apple every day. Not because I had some premonition that this research would come to light, but because I craved them constantly. Red, green, hard, soft, sweet, sour or bruised, I'd eat one every day without fail.

Allergies are a problem on both sides of our family tree - with asthma and eczema being most common. Perhaps this craving was my body's way of protecting my baby? In any case, she's free of asthma and eczema - though she does suffer food allergies.

Apples also have one and a half times more antioxidants than a 75 gram serve of blueberries, more than twice the antioxidants of a cup of tea, about three times the antioxidants of an orange and almost eight times the antioxidants of a banana!

Did you crave something beneficial during pregnancy? I'd love to hear your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment