Thursday, August 5, 2010

The gift of a daughter

Today is my birthday. I received many beautiful gifts but the best one of all was my 2-year-old daughter's arms wrapped tightly around me this morning and her whispering, 'Happy birthday mummy, love you much...I have present you!'

I'm already so proud of who she's becoming. She's kind, gentle, thoughtful and so curious. I'm in awe of how much so already knows about the world and I'm loving reliving my childhood through her. Tiny teapots, Dora dolls, bags and plastic jewellery - so much fun!

My own mum gave me a beautiful book for my birthday called Forever My Daughter with inspiring quotes on the true meaning of being given the gift of a daughter. Here's my favourite one, which I think sums up this precious relationship perfectly.

Stronger than life ...
Like it or not, we are bound to one another
It is the lightest of links - so light that sometimes we forget it altogether.
But it is stronger than life itself.
One tiny tug will have me dropping anything I'm doing
- you are, above everything, the heartbeat of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Halester!!
    Sounds like your special day was wonderful.
    It's August 6th, will we see a blog today?
    Maybe I'll check back later.
    Good luck with the daily 'grateful' blog.
    I'm grateful....for being happy. Because not everyone is happy. I'm grateful I have an optimistic outlook and love my life (most of the time)!

    ReplyDelete